On the heels of designing a lacrosse head with topology optimization I started to think how this technology could be used in healthcare. I saw several instances where casts had been 3D printed for broken bones. What struck me was that the structures were largely aesthetic. I turned to Abaqus, Tosca, Catia and Mimics to improve the design. Below is an interview about this work. This interview goes along with my Prezi presentation which can be viewed here.

This work is summarized in the graphic below which goes through thankfully the fictitious story of my Daughter, Meg: broken bone, scan data, mesh creation, topology optimization and a healed bone with a cool suntan (airbrushed)!